[RFC] ditch support for linux <= 2.2 [was: Re: [patch] size optimization for mkswap.c]

Bernhard Fischer rep.nop at aon.at
Thu Mar 16 17:46:45 PST 2006

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 03:18:50PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
>On Thursday 16 March 2006 9:06 am, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
>> Forgot to mention these:
>> >+config CONFIG_FEATURE_MKSWAP_V0
>> >+	bool "  version 0 support"
>> >+	default n
>> >+	depends on CONFIG_MKSWAP
>> >+#	depends on CONFIG_MKSWAP && CONFIG_DEPRECATED
>>
>> Should we add something like CONFIG_DEPRECATED for trunk (i.e. for 1.2)?
>
>Now that we have a Busybox Settings menu, we should add a menu of deprecated
>stuff under it.  We probably don't need a separate deprecated tag.

So, do i get you right that we don't want an explicit CONFIG_DEPRECATED
in the general config, but just ditch them from the code for 1.2?

I, personally, don't need support for linux-2.0 (nor 2.2 for that
matter), so i can live with this pretty well. If anyone disagrees, then
please speak up now.

>> >+	help
>> >+	  Enable support for the old v0 style.
>> >+	  If your kernel is older than 2.1.117, then v0 support is the
>> >+	  only option.
>> >

>> >-	version = atoi(tmp);
>> >+	USE_FEATURE_MKSWAP_V0(version = atoi(tmp);)
>> >+	SKIP_FEATURE_MKSWAP_V0(if (00 && sz & 4)
>> >+			bb_error_msg_and_die("No v0 support");)
>>
>> This verbose check would add about 28 Bytes to inform the user that v0
>> support is not available. Not sure if we want that.
>
>The new swapfile format was introduced for the 2.2 kernel, which has now
>fallen off the low-end of what we support.  If we support the -v flag at all
>we should ignore it.

vodz will most likely point out a way to just ignore it, but i'd thusly
tend to just drop it for the 1.2 series (the 1.1 branch should not and
will not pick this up).

>I'd chop v0 support out entirely.  It's beyond deprecated, it's obsolete (as
>far as busybox is concerned).
>
>> If v0 is disabled and the user requests it, then we could as well
>> silently create a v1 style swap. By careful inspection, the user would
>> notice the version anyway as it prints:
>> Setting up swapspace version 1, size = xyz bytes
>
>We can just say "setting up swapspace", no need to even mention version.  ext2
>replaced the old ext, and SWAPSPACE2 has replaced the old kind.  (And it's
>confusing that -v1 is SWAPSPACE2.  Let's not go there.)

ok. Saves several bytes for the future trunk aka 1.2