UID is -1, can't login?

Joshua ChaitinPollak josh at kivasystems.com
Tue Jun 27 14:33:21 PDT 2006

On Jun 27, 2006, at 5:25 PM, Juergen Hennerich wrote:

>> What would cause my uid to be -1???
>>
> The Linux kernel changed the UIDs from 16bit to 32bit a while ago.
> Maybe you are using a kernel that uses 32bit UID per default and
> your libc has problems hanling the 32bit UID. You can change this
> by enabling under the kernel General Setup-> Enable 16-bit UID
> system calls.
>
> I hope this helps.

By the time I read your message I had already recompiled and tried
exactly what you suggested. And yes, that seems to be the problem.
Oddly enough, it seems to have caused a problem with my nfs mount,
now portmap says it cannot talk to server localhost, but then the
boot continues. As far as I can tell root isn't getting mounted in
time to run rcS now though, I'm not sure when its getting mounted.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

-Josh

--
Joshua ChaitinPollak