UID is -1, can't login?

Juergen Hennerich juergen.hennerich at gmx.de
Tue Jun 27 14:25:57 PDT 2006

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 16:27:34 -0400
Von: Joshua ChaitinPollak <josh at kivasystems.com>
An: busybox at busybox.net
Betreff: UID is -1, can\'t login?

> Hi,
>
> I'm having a strange problem with Busybox 1.1.0 and 1.1.3. When my
> system boots, I get the login prompt, I type my username, and then I
> get this error:
>
> login: This applet requires root priviledges!
>
> So I hacked applets/applets.c to add this line:
>
> 	if (geteuid() != 0) {
> +		fprintf(stderr, "Effective UID = %d, ruid = %d\n", geteuid(), ruid);
> 		bb_error_msg_and_die("This applet require root priviledges!");
> 	}
>
> What I get when I run this is:
>
> Soekris login: root
> Effective UID = -1, ruid = -1
> login: This applet requires root priviledges!
>
> What would cause my uid to be -1???

The Linux kernel changed the UIDs from 16bit to 32bit a while ago. Maybe you are using a kernel that uses 32bit UID per default and your libc has problems hanling the 32bit UID. You can change this by enabling under the kernel General Setup-> Enable 16-bit UID system calls.

I hope this helps.

Juergen