[busybox] v0.5 of busybox single-applet iterative build script

Bernhard Fischer rep.nop at aon.at
Fri Jun 23 02:26:47 PDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 02:51:15PM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
>On Thursday 22 June 2006 3:32 am, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 04:24:23PM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
>> >I'm actually tempted to go through and rename the applet configs
>> > CONFIG_APP (I.E. CONFIG_CP -> CONFIG_APP_CP).
>>
>> That would be very welcome, from my POV (remember the CONFIG_TR and
>> CONFIG_SYSCTL gotchas..)
>
>I'm trying to get a release candidate out by monday so that we can have the
>week to find bugs before the final release on the 30th...

Please review the tail -c1 /dev/block_device patch. Do we have a current
list of outstanding bugs that are not in the bugtracker?

>Still...  Hmmm.
>
>> >Right now we've got CONFIG_FEATURE and CONFIG_DEBUG that our various
>> >config-twiddling tools can sink their teeth into, but no easy way to go
>> > "this is an applet".
>> >
>> >The alternative is to find everything that _isn't_ an applet and give it
>> > an understandable prefix.  Your script has an interesting ignore list
>> > that's a good start fo rthis.
>> >
>> >These don't start with "CONFIG_", and I'm thinking of moving most of them
>> > out of .config anyway:
>> >  HAVE_DOT_CONFIG
>>
>> We need some unique CONFIG_THING that is always set, so we can see if
>> there is a .config and if it is non-empty. Any name does this for me.
>
>In our case, that would probably be CONFIG_BUSYBOX. :)

Fine.

>> >  PREFIX
>>
>> This should really be CONFIG_INSTALLER_PREFIX or something alike.
>
>This is a prefix for both "make install" and for the busybox --install
>command, right?

IIRC yes but I didn't look right now

[snip ./busybox --list with full pathes for 1.3]

>> >  CROSS_COMPILER_PREFIX
>>
>> wipe it, the user should plain `make CROSS=/there/ia64-uclibc-´
>>
>> >  EXTRA_CFLAGS_OPTIONS
>>
>> Ditto, wipe. `make CFLAGS_EXTRA=""´ instead.
>
>Agreed.

You applied the EXTRA_CFLAGS_OPTIONS, the CROSS_COMPILER_PREFIX is
outstanding and should IMO be in 1.2

[]
>> The USAGE .. VERBOSE_USAGE look like they are in these cathegories, fwiw:
>> - build/install (build_*, install_*, installer_*, installer_prefix)
>> - debug (debug_*, no_debug_lib, dmalloc, efence,
>> - global settings (LFS, perhaps usage, devfs_names, selinux, locale, ..)
>> - misnomers (md5_size_vs_speed, nitpick)
>>
>> i'd put the globals into CONFIG_BB_, applets into CONFIG_APPLET_,
>> features in CONFIG_FEATURE, debug in CONFIG_BB_DBG, installer into
>> CONFIG_BB_INSTALLER etc.
>
>We already have CONFIG_FEATURE and CONFIG_DEBUG, but I don't want to make
>names too long.  (Besides, APP is ambivalent between APPLET and
>APPLICATION. :)  Globals I'll worry about later, the pressing need right now
>is a way to do things like "allbareconfig" or your script without having to
>know what lots of unrelated symbols mean.
>
>I just converted the networking/dhcp menu since it was small.  Toe in the
>water sort of thing...

CONFIG_APP is fine. Can we decide on CONFIG_BB for the globals now (and
change it either for 1.2 or later on)?

Thanks,