Removing dependency to libgcc_s.so

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Jul 26 01:40:08 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 25 July 2006 3:58 am, Michael Hunold wrote:
> I provided "-static-libgcc" using "make menuconfig" for extra CFLAGS
> arguments.
>
> The busybox with my local configuration and this change is 187464 bytes
> and no more has the dependency to libgcc_s.so. Before it was 187572
> bytes, so it actually became smaller.

If anybody has the foggiest idea what's going on with this, I'd appreciate an
explanation.  Possibly gcc is inlining the symbols while making the .o files?
Do I actually have to care?  I just added the -static-libgcc thing to
CHECKED_CFLAGS and that at least _built_, but I dunno if that's because the
check_cc macro actually _works_ (which the check_ld macro doesn't seem to),
or because the compiler liked it.

Should I check this in, or drop it?