Removing dependency to libgcc_s.so

Michael Hunold hunold at linuxtv.org
Tue Jul 25 07:58:30 UTC 2006

Hello David,

on 24.07.2006 18:06 David Daney said the following:
> Correct.  But you were complaining about a DT_NEEDED for libgcc_s.so,
> which is different than libgcc.a.
>
> If you look (with nm -D) at your executable and libgcc_s.so, you will
> see that there are no undefined symbols that can be satisfied by
> libgcc_s.so.

Doh! You are absolutely right, I didn't notice that.

> What you want is to get rid of libgcc_s.so, not the statically linked
> libgcc.a.  Since the linker bug is biting you, I would suggest linking
> with -static-libgcc instead of the contortions that you are using.

I provided "-static-libgcc" using "make menuconfig" for extra CFLAGS
arguments.

The busybox with my local configuration and this change is 187464 bytes
and no more has the dependency to libgcc_s.so. Before it was 187572
bytes, so it actually became smaller.

> David Daney.

Thank you very much for your help. I was completely mistaken when
looking at the problem.

Best regards
Michael.