[BusyBox] Problem with getty/login

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Aug 7 22:25:00 MDT 2004

On Friday 06 August 2004 12:26, Matthias Auchmann wrote:
> Hi List!
>
> I have a problem with my getty/login/init part of busybox.
>
> When I start my system and try to log in on ttyS0 (first serial port),
> which is my console, I enter my username ('root'), which is echoed twice
> (first strange thing).
> Then I enter a password, but whatever I do, nothing happens, until the
> login procedure finally times out after 60 seconds.
> Then, a new login-prompt is printed, and this time, everything works
> fine -> so the problem only occurs at the first login at ttyS0
> It seems like login never gets the password I entered...

Sounds like a terminal setup problem.  (For one thing, it's not throwing the
terminal into raw mode.)

> I do NOT have this problem on ttyS1, where everything works out fine,
> even the first time!

It sounds like a problem with init logging to the serial console, actually.

> I tried some options in inittab, but nothing seems to help!
>
> I guess it's some trivial thing I forgot to configure, so any help would
> be appreciated!
>
> greetz,
>
> Matthias

Are you using a serial console?  In this case, init will keep an open
filehandle for the serial console (for logging purposes), meaning another
process has it claimed and is a session group leader and all that fun
stuff....

Are you using config_syslogd?  If not, things get icky.  (Search init/init.c
for the comment:

/* Take full control of the log tty, and never close it.
     * It's mine, all mine!  Muhahahaha! */

Which could easily screw you up.  Read console_init(), then message() in
init/init.c.  (Bring a barf bag.)

Enabling CONFIG_SYSLOGD is probably the easiest fix...

www.linucon.org: Linux Expo and Science Fiction Convention
October 8-10, 2004 in Austin Texas.  (I'm the con chair.)