[BusyBox] "auto: applet not found" ...

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Fri Nov 7 14:26:57 MST 2003

On Fri Nov 07, 2003 at 03:48:46PM -0500, Karim Yaghmour wrote:

> I'm kind'a stuck here ... For some reason which I cannot comprehend (yet),
> busybox pukes "auto: applet not found" when started by the kernel and
> then the kernel dies because init is gone. Yet, there is no symbolic
> link called "auto" pointing to BusyBox ... What's even weirder is if
> I pass "init=/sbin/init" to the kernel, BusyBox prints out its standard
> "Usage: busybox [function] [arguments]..." message,

If your 2.4.x kernel does not have this patch
    http://linux.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.4/diffs/init/main.c@1.30?nav=index.html|src/|src/init|hist/init/main.c
then argv[0] is not set properly which prevents "init=foo" kernel
command line args from working as expected.

As for the auto... dunno.  Perhaps your bootloader has that
on the command line?

 -Erik