[BusyBox] "auto: applet not found" ...

Karim Yaghmour karim at opersys.com
Fri Nov 7 13:48:46 MST 2003

I'm kind'a stuck here ... For some reason which I cannot comprehend (yet),
busybox pukes "auto: applet not found" when started by the kernel and
then the kernel dies because init is gone. Yet, there is no symbolic
link called "auto" pointing to BusyBox ... What's even weirder is if
I pass "init=/sbin/init" to the kernel, BusyBox prints out its standard
"Usage: busybox [function] [arguments]..." message, and when I look
within the section of "Currently defined functions:" I see this:
"head, id, or, insmod, kill, ..." I really don't get this one, how could
"init" be replaced by "or" ... when I run the exact same busybox on
another system, though, I see "head, id, init, insmod, kill" ...

Has anyone seen something like this before? Anyone have a hint?

Here are some details about the setup:
Tri-M MZ104, 8MB RAM, 8MB DOC
binutils 2.13.2
gcc 3.2.3
glibc 2.3.1
uClibc 0.9.21
BusyBox 0.60.5 (statically linked with uClibc)
kernel 2.4.20 through 2.4.22 (they all end up with the same result ...)
The bootup in this test setup is done from a floppy disk using lilo,
the rootfs being on the floppy.

Thanks,

Karim
--
Author, Speaker, Developer, Consultant
Pushing Embedded and Real-Time Linux Systems Beyond the Limits