[BusyBox] RE: busybox digest, Vol 1 #1170 - 4 msgs

Alex Pavloff apavloff at eason.com
Mon Mar 31 12:31:03 UTC 2003

> It could be as simple as sticking a couple of lines in a
> startup script  somewhere (typically something like rc.local), or as
complex as
> something like the RedHat network startup scripts.

> System startup and init scripts, especially as related to networking,
> are not really standardized.  While eventually interface
> configuration
> boils down to a couple iproute2 (aka "ip") or ifconfig/route calls
> and/or starting a dhcp client, exactly how that happens
> varies wildly.
> There's really no way to help you with specifics without
> knowing a lot
> more about your startup environment.
>
> I suggest you start with your system's init, and manually
> "walk through" > the startup procedure.  You'll likely find an appropriate

> place to put > network configuration commands.

I know full well how the current networking system works -- I wrote it
myself.   The system I'm putting togethers works just fine for doing static
addressing.  It just reads some environment variables and calls "ip" to set
the parameters.

Now I'm wanting to add DHCP and realizing that it'll have to be more
complex, so I'm looking for already existing scripts to setup my interfaces.
I am completely willing to throw everything away (yeah, the whole 15 minutes
of work I already did!) and just use something else.

> NOTE:  You may not want the features of a full blown  firewall, but you
> did ask for busybox compatable scripts to configure an  interface.  All
> the LEAF distributions I pointed you to contain code that fits this
> criteria, giving you an excellent source of both information
> and shell  code you can likely morph into what you're looking for.

Well, after much digging I find that your network.conf and the dhclient
package have what I'm looking for.  I wish that had been easier to find
though.

Alex Pavloff - apavloff at eason.com
Eason Technology -- www.eason.com