[BusyBox] RE: busybox digest, Vol 1 #1170 - 4 msgs

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Mon Mar 31 11:26:03 UTC 2003

Alex Pavloff wrote:
>> Message: 4
>> Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 06:52:01 -0600
>> From: Charles Steinkuehler <charles at steinkuehler.net>
>> To: Alex Pavloff <apavloff at eason.com>
>> Cc: "'busybox at busybox.net'" <busybox at busybox.net>
>> Subject: Re: [BusyBox] networking scripts
>>
>> Alex Pavloff wrote:
>> > Does anyone have some ideas about where to go to get busybox/iproute
>> > compatible networking scripts that support static & dynamic
>> IP addressing
>> > for multiple network interfaces?
>>
>> You might want to check out Tom Eastep's shorewall:
>> http://shorewall.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> You can find shorewall and various other network
>> setup/firewall scripts
>> integrated into a linux + busybox environment in the various
>> distributions available under the LEAF project:
>> http://www.leaf-project.org/
>>
>> --
>> Charles Steinkuehler
>> charles at steinkuehler.net
>
> Hrm...  I don't need a filtering, firewalling or routing at all, I just need
> configure eth0 or eth1 dynamically or statically.  You obviously have some
> experience with these ;-), so I ask you, how hard would it be to set up a
> simple configuration?

It could be as simple as sticking a couple of lines in a startup script
somewhere (typically something like rc.local), or as complex as
something like the RedHat network startup scripts.

System startup and init scripts, especially as related to networking,
are not really standardized.  While eventually interface configuration
boils down to a couple iproute2 (aka "ip") or ifconfig/route calls
and/or starting a dhcp client, exactly how that happens varies wildly.
There's really no way to help you with specifics without knowing a lot
more about your startup environment.

I suggest you start with your system's init, and manually "walk through"
the startup procedure.  You'll likely find an appropriate place to put
network configuration commands.

NOTE:  You may not want the features of a full blown firewall, but you
did ask for busybox compatable scripts to configure an interface.  All
the LEAF distributions I pointed you to contain code that fits this
criteria, giving you an excellent source of both information and shell
code you can likely morph into what you're looking for.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net