[BusyBox] smb mounting

Larry Doolittle ldoolitt at recycle.lbl.gov
Mon Oct 29 11:49:30 UTC 2001

Guys -

I just mounted an SMB share from a WinNT box, from my embedded
StrongARM.  I didn't do much in the way of throrough tests, but
it seemed to basically work.  I thought I would share my recipe,
and ask if anyone has done any better:

build smbmount _and_ smbmnt from samba-2.2.2
  make bin/smbmount CC=arm-linux-gcc
  make bin/smbmnt CC=arm-linux-gcc
copy smbmount and smbmnt to NFS area

Linux kernel built supporting smbfs as a module
  (requires rebuilding kernel itself, since the existince of smbfs as
   a module forces NLS support to be selected in monolithic kernel)
Also engage module for nls iso8859-1.
copy smbfs.o and nls_iso8859-1.o to NFS area

# insmod smbfs
# insmod nls_iso8859-1
# mkdir -p /mnt/junk
# mkdir -p /usr/local/samba/lib
# touch /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
# smbmount //winnt_host/public /mnt/junk -o username=mynamehere
WARNING: Your timezone is not a multiple of 1 minute.
load_client_codepage: filename /usr/local/samba/lib/codepages/codepage.850 does not exist.
load_unicode_map: filename /usr/local/samba/lib/codepages/unicode_map.850 does not exist.
Password:
/ #

Note that the warning about timezone is not unique to samba.  My libc-2.1.2
configuration is buggy, as can be easily seen from the date command:
/ # date
Mon Oct 29 18:42:42 /home/ldoolitt/rffe/check/arm 2001
/ #

Oh, yes, this is a busybox list, isn't it?  The mount that is _not_ used
here is that of busybox-0.51.  If I try, I get
/ # mount -t smbfs -o username=mynamehere  //winnt_host/public /mnt/junk
smbfs: mount_data version 1919251317 is not supported
mount: Mounting //winnt_host/public on /mnt/junk failed: Invalid argument
/ #

         - Larry