[1.16.2/mdev] "Can't open /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug"

Harald Becker ralda at gmx.de
Mon May 30 13:53:15 UTC 2011

 Hallo Gilles!

> Thanks for the infos. Actually, I don't need hotplugging, as the
> appliance doesn't even have a USB port.

So looks like you do not need mdev either.

> The reason I'm trying mdev now is because I couldn't find the
> major.minor infos to handle a Ubi(fs) mtd NAND partition.
>
> Where can I find this information? In the kernel source?

Have you looked at your /proc/devices output?

There you will find your devices (probably under block devices). The
number to the left is the major number needed for device file creation.
Minor numbers depend on the device type and are normally documented
anywhere in the kernel docs.

For block devices /proc/partitions may be more informative?

There you see major an minor numbers.

--
Harald