Issue in ifplugd?

Sat Jan 8 09:24:53 UTC 2011

Hi,

I just configured the busybox-1.15.2 applet ifplugd to monitor the
"eth0" interface and call "ifup eth0" when the interface link comes up
and call "ifdown eth0" when the interface link goes down. My
/etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.action script looks like this.

-- /etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.action
#/bin/sh

echo "link of interface ${1} is ${2}" > /tmp/ifplugd.log

if [ "${2}" == "up" ]; then
    ifup ${1}
else
    ifdown ${1}
fi

-- EOF

What i am seeing is that when the link comes up the ifup command is
called and when the link goes down the ifdown command is called. But
once the ifdown command gets called, ifplugd will no longer be able to
detect if the link has come up.

To confirm this i removed the else block from the action script and i
ifplugd will report the link status whenever is comes up or goes down.
If i call ifdown eth0 manually, then again ifplugd will stop reporting
the link status.

Regards
~Sameer