SHM layout used by syslogd - changing?

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 17 12:32:37 UTC 2008

On Monday 17 March 2008 11:47, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> I have a question from one of our customers.
>
> Are there any plans to change the SHM layout used by syslogd in the
> foreseeable future?  Our customer uses a utility which depends on
> knowing the layout and he was surprised when the layout changed
> after he updated to an up-to-date version of busybox.

This change happened between 1.6.x and 1.7.x versions.
Basically, one member of the structure was found superfluous
and was deleted.

Personally, I am not a big fan of "log to SHM buffer" feature.
It requires you to use *special programs* to access it.
Your customer was bitten exactly by this problem.

Using good old "log to files" approach is way easier,
and since Linux has ramfs/tmpfs, you don't need real
writable storage to use it.

As to immediate solution - using syslogd and logread
applets from the same version of busybox should work
regardless of SHM buffer format changes.
--
vda