mdev race conditions

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 7 05:59:01 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 04 June 2008 12:32, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > Sorry, what I meant to say is that the resulting addition of mdevd
> > to the busybox binary would only add a few kilobytes to its size.
>
> and as things are today, your "tiny" addition results in much more overhead
> than udevd.  busybox is one big blob and every instance of it (regardless of
> what applet it's invoking) means a unique instance of that big blog in
> memory.

Not related to mdev: I am trying to fix it by (1) seriously reducing
the size of data+bss and (2) making libbusybox build option work ewll
for those poor souls who sits on arch which is incapable of reusing
text+rodata segment of loaded executables.

I need some feedback if these efforts don't work well.
--
vda