libgloss backend?

Sterling Augustine sterling at tensilica.com
Tue May 29 16:18:48 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 14:33 +0200, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> Is anyone working on a libgloss backend for uClibc?

We have one functional and running. We don't keep it up to date with the
main branch right now because. 99% of the changes since I did the
original work all deal with things that are very linux specific or
against features we don't want to support (such as dynamic loading, or
locales), so it is against, if I recall correctly, 0.9.27.

At some point, I'll probably update it to work against the current
version of uclibc, but there isn't much point right now as the things
that have changed don't impact the functionality present in this
edition.

Search for message from me in the past about the issues of getting this
sort of thing included in the main line, and getting it working with
another target. In order to do it really correctly, much of the uclibc
build structure would need to change, among other issues.

FWIW, uclibc to the bare metal is much smaller than newlib to the bare
metal (particularly in ROM footprint), although I've misplaced my exact
stats.

Sterling