0.9.29, somethings wrong with linker or threading

Kevin Day thekevinday at gmail.com
Sat May 19 22:27:32 UTC 2007

On 5/19/07, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
> On Thursday 17 May 2007 11:02 am, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> > Got your logs with locale off and I can't see anything new in there.
> > Now you got a fairly common config and a fairly common
> > case that SEGV. Your are the first to report such problems in a long time.
> > Your are using gcc 4.1.2(binutils version?) and I don't think many are using
> > such a new compiler. So I am guessing that eithter you have a bug
> > in you toolchain, something changed w.r.t relocation/weak syms etc. or
> > your new toolchain managed to expose a bug in uClibc.
>
> I'm using gcc 4.1.2 in Firmware Linux, but I'm not doing much with threading.
>
> Rob

I never noticed the problem myself after having almost an entire
system compiled, until a configure script test failed to find a
library (libao) that was installed.

gcc-4.1.2 binutils 2.17

With debug on, valgrind showed the error to be in forward.c:143, which
seems to be a macro that creates the function
_thread_cleanup_push_defer.
I manually expanded and recompiled to see where in that function the
error was happening, but it seems to be outside of uClibc as the error
was happening on the open-brace '{'. (assuming I expanded the macro by
hand correctly..)

I am currently re-working the build system from the old style to the
new bootstrap method mention on the LinuxFromScratch HLFS project.
(embryo->cocoon->butterfly toolchain method).  This will hopefully
return better results.

I am also avoiding core dumps as much as possible as I dont know
enough to do anything useful with them..

I may even go as far as to stick my neck out and try to build against
the recently released 4.2.0 gcc.
--
Kevin Day