OSL Power Outage 5/26

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri May 26 23:53:21 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 23 May 2006 11:50 pm, Ned Ludd wrote:
> On Friday, May 26th 15:00 - 19:00 UTC  (8:00 - 12:00 PST)
>
> The OSL has been remodeling it's new Data Center. As part of it's
> remodeling efforts, the power infrastructure in one it's server rooms
> is being replaced with a dedicated UPS unit. We will probably have to
> shut down the server known as morris by 14:50 UTC on that day till the
> migration efforts are complete.
>
> We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause but the end result
> will benefit us all. OSL will do it's best to shorten this outage
> window, and get everything back online as soon as the circuits are
> switched over.
>

> Side note:
> The box we have hosting our services for the uclibc * busybox projects
> there is on is an old Compaq Deskpro that could (and probably will) die
> at any moment. So at this time we are looking for hardware donations. If
> you value the uClibc/busybox projects and have any decent hardware to
> spare please contact Erik Andersee, Mike Frysinger or myself. If the box
> does die in the near future or we can't scrape enough decent parts
> together we would have the option to be shifted to a XEN vm after OSL's
> new Data Center is light up.

You know, there are $500 x86-64 boxes at the Fry's in Austin that blow away
the capabilities of Morris.  (Too bad I'm in Pittsburgh these days, but I've
got friends down there who can buy and mail something for me...)

What are your form factor requirements for a new box?  (Or do you prefer to
buy it yourselves?)