fork on uClinux

Brent Cook bcook at bpointsys.com
Wed May 24 17:14:51 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 24 May 2006 12:02, Shaun Jackman wrote:

> > > I grepped the source from subversion of both uClibc and buildroot for
> > > the token __UCLIBC_HAS_MMU__ and found no hits. Where do these three
> > > lines come from?
> >
> > Try grepping for 'HAS_MMU' and you'll get some hits.
> >
> > -Steve
>
> I grepped through the subversion uClibc sources for HAS_MMU and
> HAS_NO_MMU and found a number of hits, but I did not find anything
> that seemed to remap fork to vfork, as Phil suggests it does above.
>
> Does anyone know for certain how fork behaves on uClinux/uClibc? Does
> it call vfork, fail with ENOSYS, or something else?

Looking at sjhill's NPTL tree, __UCLIBC_HAS_MMU__ seems to be used in various
places, bit the quoted text is nowhere to be found in current SVN.

Try: grep -R fork * |grep vfork |grep define |grep -v ".svn"

That should find what you're looking for, though it appears that things work a
little differently than explained above.