[uClibc]Re: Java VM: will there be any for ucLinux?

Miles Bader miles at lsi.nec.co.jp
Tue May 21 17:13:32 MDT 2002

Erik Andersen <andersen at codepoet.org> writes:
> I think the way Java uses memory would lead to rapid memory
> fragmentation and would soon make the system unusble.

Why?  I guess java would have a lot more short-lived small allocations
than say C, but that sort of thing will probably get absorbed by
whatever user-mode layer they use, and overall, I'm not sure why it
would be much different than a typical C/C++ of similar size (the latter
tend to be written in the same style as java programs these days
anyway).

I guess it depends a lot on the GC implementation though; something
clever like a generational GC probably won't fly because I think they
typically use VM tricks (e.g., assigning meaning to particular non-lsb
bits in addresses), and maybe a stop-n-copy type might have problems
allocating large blocks of memory, but something simple should be fine.

-Miles
--
97% of everything is grunge