BusyBox crond format help

John Hossbach john.hossbach at taillight.com
Thu Jan 25 21:53:22 UTC 2024

I'm seeking documentation on the format that BusyBox's crond supports under
BB 1.35.0.  I could not find anything, so I took to reading source, but
quickly got confused and started to not believe what I was reading.

Originally, I was hoping to find that crond supported "H" (the random value
in cron).  As I began reading crond.c, I started to think that it didn't
even support ranges like 1-10.

I base this off of lines 234 and 270 where skip is set to 0 and if the
field is not *, a digit, or one of the pre-defined 3-character strings, it
seems to throw a parsing error even though comments seem to imply that it
handles an optional range.
https://git.busybox.net/busybox/tree/miscutils/crond.c?h=1_35_stable#n234

So, maybe less about the interpretation of the C code and more about
documentation on the scheduling formats BB crond supports.

Thank you,

*John Greg Hossbach*
VCP6.5-DCV, VCP6-DCV
Sr. Engineer, DevOps @ Tail Light