Question on mount helpers

Carl Chave online at chave.us
Tue Sep 26 23:38:56 UTC 2023

On Alpine linux, busybox is configured with
CONFIG_FEATURE_MOUNT_HELPERS=y and a nilfs2 filesystem does
successfully mount from fstab with busybox mount, however, the
nilfs_cleanerd process is not automatically started. From the
nilfs_cleanerd documentation:

> This program can be invoked either automatically by mount.nilfs2(8) or manually by an administrator. However, users are recommended to invoke nilfs_cleanerd through mount.nilfs2(8) or mount(8) and shutdown it through umount.nilfs2(8) or umount(8) in order to avoid state inconsistencies among administration tools.

Switching to util-linux mount does result in nilfs_cleanerd being
started automatically so my tentative conclusion is that util-linux
mount will always use a mount helper when available (unless called
with -i) and busybox mount will use the helper only after a "generic"
mount attempt fails. Is that correct? If so, would you consider
reversing the order?

Thanks,
Carl