Add *sum -b (brief, hash only) option.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Aug 31 20:51:05 UTC 2023

On 8/31/23 09:32, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2023 at 11:02 AM Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
>> Something toybox has had for years, thought you guys might be interested. A way
>> to get these things to output ONLY the hash, so it's more easily scriptable.
>>
>> In the gnu/dammit version -b says not to strip DOS newlines, which we already
>> ignored as a NOP in at least some cases...
>
> Did you ask GNU coreutils to also have such an option?

Not yet, I'm still waiting for the resolution of:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/coreutils/2023-08/msg00009.html

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/coreutils/2023-08/msg00100.html

You have a lot more gnu/faith than I do. (I'm agnustic at best.)

> I prefer to not create another case of several incompatible options
> for the same functionality, invented independently.

It's been in toybox for 9 years, which predates Android's adoption:

https://github.com/landley/toybox/commit/2682551a4b19

*shrug* Your call, of course. Just thought I'd offer a patch...