wget --spider

Ercolino de Spiacico bellocarico at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 30 08:59:31 UTC 2021

Thanks Nicholas

I sort of got to the same conclusion that -S is somehow referring to
--spider or a sort of alias to it.

There is one thing that puzzles me though, the -S will show the Server
response indeed but also download the file. This latter action defeats
the concept for my purpose (check RAM availability prior to download to
prevent starvation).

Say you're in my situation, with embedded-system's RAM overloaded you
need to make a decision if a file download will fit or not, -S will
provide the info but potentially already creating the damage.

Is there any way to get the file size only without downloading first?

I've tried appending "-O /dev/null", somehow it seems to work (file not
created) but I'm not sure this is the right approach... Not triggering
the file download at all would be the optimal result I suppose.