Patches to make GNU gzip and BusyBox gzip produce identical compression results

Daniel Edgecumbe email at esotericnonsense.com
Thu Sep 5 12:48:39 UTC 2019

Well, not just the default behaviour.

It's probably nonsensical to assume that a specific compression level will
produce identical (or even similar) results across different implementations because
there are other possible variables, like the GZIP_FAST flag.

There is though a slight complication in that due to BusyBox being embedded
software we skip some checks. For example, with GZIP_LEVELS off, -1..9 flags are
just ignored transparently. So in that case scripts that rely on the compression
levels will fail anyway.

The patch set was more aimed at fixing some behaviours that I think aren't intuitive.
Specifically I think it's very strange that the default would go from -9 to -6 when
levels are enabled. Much head scratching was had.

Daniel

--
Daniel Edgecumbe | esotericnonsense
Kalix NO, Sverige | +358 46 584 2810