Cannot download busybox with busybox

Kang-Che Sung explorer09 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 14:42:58 UTC 2017

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 7:58 PM, Denys Vlasenko
<vda.linux at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I'll cc this to bbox mailing list to humiliate this guy.

>>> Support for https is added in last released version
>>
>> OK, but what if you ask for p7zip and get p7zip.7z file? What you use to
>> unpack it? And how i can download new version with https support without
>> https support from https-only server? It is stupid like windows device
>> driver wizard trying to find network device drivers in internet.
>
> I don't remember you having a contract with me to support your operations.
>
> On what moral or legal grounds are you complaining that I did not
> write TLS support for wget fast enough for Your Majesty's taste?

So he asked for this feature by mailing the maintainer personally?
And why was he demanding a prebuilt binary in the first place? (You know, a
default configuration for busybox rarely fits your client / embedded system's
requirement.)

And the analogy of p7zip is a failure. Every FOSS package has its own
bootstrapping problem to address. GCC needs a C++ compiler; tar needs a copy of
tar to unpack its own sources. The upstream maintainers may give you
convenience by providing source packages in other formats (e.g. shar),
but demanding someone to ship it in the way you want is rude (we don't owe you
anything).

So what's preventing him from downloading busybox from another computer,
build it, and copy it to his embedded MIPS system through LAN or a USB stick?

Enough said.