potential error with adduser

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Thu Dec 15 07:19:06 UTC 2016

You are allowed to have inaccurate information in /etc/passwd.

For instance, there is nothing to check that the information in the GECOS
field [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gecos_field] is correct.

There is nothing to stop you deleting the created home directory
afterwards, and nothing to force you to update the password file if you do
delete it afterwards.

I think you want the user to have an empty home directory field; that might
be specified with: -h ""

Maybe that is what you are asking for?

Sam