[RFC] Proof-of-concept for netlink listener for mdev -i

Harald Becker ralda at gmx.de
Mon Mar 16 19:18:40 UTC 2015

On 16.03.2015 19:49, Natanael Copa wrote:
>> netlink reader | tee /dev/ttyX | device operation handler
>
> This looks good to me.
>
> If you want avoid that this netlink reader in your example is in memory
> at all times, then feel free to use my netlink socket activator to
> activate it. Otherwise, please ignore it.

Your activator wouldn't be of much benefit, as the netlink reader itself
tries to stay as small as possible. So your gain may be a single page of
user space, but pay for this with an extra process descriptor in the
kernel. Not really a difference, but needs extra CPU power to fire up
the netlink reader. Not to note, that inactive memor may be swapped out
by the kernel, so your approach may be a "for resource constraint
purposes special solution".

The netlink reader does:

establish network socket
wait for incoming event