[RFC] Proof-of-concept for netlink listener for mdev -i

Natanael Copa ncopa at alpinelinux.org
Mon Mar 16 16:18:27 UTC 2015

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 21:46:42 +0100
Harald Becker <ralda at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 15.03.2015 14:29, Natanael Copa wrote:
> >> You hacked a solution, for the mechanism of your preference, throwing
> >> out those who want to use one of the other mechanisms ...
> >> this is forcing others to do it your way?
> >
> > The RFC in subject means "request for comments", not "I force you do it
> > my way".
>
> I apologize ... please change my words to (which was there intention):
>
> You hacked a solution, for the mechanism of your preference, throwing
> out those who want to use one of the other mechanisms ... which would be
> bad, when you try to force others to do it your way?
>
> ... sorry for my poor English.

Ininitial mdev -i patch for busybox which reads messages from stream
(so it should work with your fif manager):

http://sprunge.us/ZjLK
(also attached)

A few notes:
- Its completely untested but it compiles
- it needs the previously mentioned micro protocol ('\0' as message
  separator)
- my current nldev hack implementation (netlink socket activator) needs
  the helper application to read the messages from netlink socket and
  forward to mdev -i as the previous implementation did.
- needs be busyboxified.

Would be nice if someone with more busybox experience than me could
help clean it up.

Thanks!

-nc