FW: Help Please

Isaac Dunham ibid.ag at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 18:51:08 UTC 2015

On Sat, Mar 07, 2015 at 06:00:33PM +0000, andy broderick wrote:

>  From: andybroderick at live.com
> To: busybox at busybox.net
> Subject: Help Please
> Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 17:51:56 +0000
>
> Hi I hope you can help or a least point me in the right direction.
> I have built a NAS from an old Linux based media player.
> Connected via  1of 2 USB sockets and a 4 port USB hub are four USB HDD's
> all are formatted to NTFS and have lots of data stored.
> The media player has BusyBox V1.1.3 installed and a Samba server, so far so good.
> The NAS is hard wired to the network and all 4 HDD's can be seen and accessed from any pc on the network.
> The problem that I have is that if the NAS is rebooted or has a power cut when it comes back
> on the HDD's will be in a different (random) order and then it is difficult (almost impossible)  to find a file required.
> When the HDD's are viewed via network (on win7 pc) they just appear as C D E F.

* Don't expect any help with bugs in a version of Busybox that old.
That said, Busybox isn't the problem here as far as I can tell.

* Most likely, it's Samba you need to check, and you would want to ask
somewhere that deals with Samba rather than the Busybox list.
You *might* also want to label the partitions, but I don't expect
that will help.

As far as I know, Samba does *not* export the raw drive volumes for Windows
to use. Instead, each partition gets mounted, then Samba starts serving the
contents.
You will want to
(1) make sure that each partition gets the same device name after each boot.
(2) figure out how to make Samba show drive labels.

If you're wanting help with part 2, don't ask me.
I have never gotten Samba working, though I briefly attempted it years
ago.

I wouldn't be able to help with part 1 either without knowing kernel
version and how /dev is managed.

HTH,
Isaac Dunham