ntpdate-like functionality in ntpd

Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia guille.rodriguez at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 22:01:26 UTC 2015

Hello Denys,

El martes, 27 de enero de 2015, Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux at googlemail.com>
escribió:

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 7:27 PM, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
> <guille.rodriguez at gmail.com <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Is there a way to make ntpd work just like ntpdate (just use the first
> > response received to set the time)? This is to set the approximate
> > time at boot as quickly as possible before starting other time sensitive
> > services.
> >
> > The closest I can get is ntpd -nqp <server> but this seems to need
> > 5 valid samples in order to set the time.
>
> Would it work for you if you simply background it
> and let it do its work in parallel with the rest of the boot?

Not in this particular case; I don't need time to be extremely accurate but
I need "approximate" time to be set as quickly as possible before starting
other services. That is (was) the typical use case of ntpdate: set the time
quickly to an approximate value, then let ntpd do it's job.

(Note that ntpdate is deprecated now; alternatives for each typical
ntpdate use case are described here:
https://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Dev/DeprecatingNtpdate)

One alternative (which is supported by busybox) would be rdate. However If
ntpd can be made to behave like ntpdate, I would rather use that to avoid
depending on two different servers (since rdate does not speak NTP).

Guillermo

--
Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
guille.rodriguez at gmail.com