Deluser: deleting the home folder

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 5 20:12:55 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 7:48 PM, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 6:41 PM, Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 6:49 PM, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:
>>> I think it is bad idea to only allow this operation when long options
>>> are enabled. Long options and this functionality are two separate
>>> things in my book.
>>

>> "Standard" deluser has only long options.
>>
>> Incompatibility is not a good thing.
>
> Sure, but busybox has short option in other cases for such operation,
> so you need incompatibility somewhere anyway.

I think it was a mistake to add incompatible short options
to applets whose "standard" versions had only long options.

> In addition, the long option is not the problem. The problem is that
> the functionality is switched off by switching the long option off,
> rather than the actual functionality.

It's about 6.5 kbytes of code in static build.

> Therefore, busybox does not
> remain as fine-tunable as possible.

There are two extremes: not having any tuning knobs,
and having a tuning know for every possible case.
Both are bad. The latter one too - you will need to answer
to thousands of questions in "make config".

I tend to add new knobs (CONFIG_xyz) when somebody
is pissed enough to complain about it.

Do you want to add CONFIG_FEATURE_DELUSER_LONG_OPTIONS?