Ntpd config file support

Harald Becker ralda at gmx.de
Tue Mar 18 21:07:11 UTC 2014

Hi Mike !

> If adding the feature outright would bloat the system, you make
> it a configurable choice so that it won't add bloat where that
> bloat is unwelcome, but will aid those who value the
> convenience more than the space savings.  You already have the
> means to do this easily, so why not do it?

You are at the wrong place. It's not a question of having
configuration or not. Send your convenience request to your
system/distro maintainer. It's clearly there job to use tools to
build a system. And to have configurations to satisfy user needs.

Nothing is wrong with this, all can be done with current Busybox
versions. There is no need to add extra code to configure one or
two time servers.

>When was the last time this mailing list received so many
>e-mails in one day?  Especially about just one topic?  That
>alone should have been a red flag to you that the users of your
>software feel that this is important.
> Religious zealotry about a development concept has never led to
> good
>products; engineering (and any software development) is all
>about trade offs.  Your unyielding zealotry, instead of facing
>the challenge of make the trade off to satisfy the needs of your
>userbase, combined with you blaming others for your own
>shortcomings, is what inspired me to make the switch.

You left the path of qualified arguments. Don't going further on
this ...

--
Harald