[Question] Questions about the BusyBox specification.

Frank Ihle frank.ihle at hs-offenburg.de
Thu Jun 26 12:05:34 UTC 2014

Dear BusyBox,

due to we consider about using BusyBox on our Embedded System, I have some questions left whose answers couldn't be found on the BusyBox homepage or documentation.

I hope somebody can give me a bit more information, probably these questions/answers could be put on the BusyBox homepage, since I think that other developers trying to get into touch with BusyBox are interested in these kind of information too.

Here are the questions:

(1) What is the minimum footprint in flash memory of BusyBox ?
(2) Is there a number for the latency to handle events (e.g. interrupt latency) ?
(3.1) Is there an investigation about power consumption with BusyBox during sleep modes ?
(3.2) Is there an investigation about power consumption with BusyBox during normal/(full) operation mode?
(4) Are sleep modes configurable ?
(5) How many GPIO user out/inputs can be used e.g.: for user interaction (buttons, LEDS, dip-switches ...) ?
(6) Is there a (stateless/statefull) firewall for BusyBox ?
(7.1) Does BusyBox provide a Network stack ?
(7.2) Does BusyBox provide a Bluetooth stack ?
(7.3) Does BusyBox provide a ZigBee stack ?
(7.4) Does BusyBox provide a ZWave stack ?
(7.5) Does Busybox provide a 6LOWPAN stack ?
(8.1) Due to BusyBox seems to be written in C, is it still possible to execute a C++ application successfully ?
(8.2) Is it possible to execute a Java application ?
(9) Can applications be debugged while they are executed on the target ?
(10) What is the long-term availability of BusyBox? Can it be expected to be available for at least 10 years ?
(11) Is remote login to a target possible, that is running with BusyBox? (e.g. with telnet or SSH)

I apologize for questions, that may have already been answered. Thanks for your help.

Kind Regards

Frank Ihle