How do I (unconditionally) enable unicode support in busybox?

James Bowlin bitjam at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 18:12:03 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 08:02 PM, Denys Vlasenko said:
> Looks like you want to set CONFIG_UNICODE_SUPPORT=y and unset
> both of these latter options.  This way, all busybox applets
> should always work in Unicode mode.

That set up does not work for sed, although it sometimes works.
The most mysterious thing is that it sometimes works and what
I need to do to get it to work in /init in an initrd.

In his last few posts in this thread, Harald Becker confirms this
is a problem.  He also suggested I use "wc -m" instead of:

    sed 's/./x/g' | wc -c

Or my tr hack.

The "wc -m" solution always works (for me) so my problem is solved.
But there is still a strange problem with sed and unicode that
Harald was able to reproduce.

Peace, James