Question about the installation directory of programs

ChenQi Qi.Chen at windriver.com
Sat Nov 9 02:57:00 UTC 2013

On 11/08/2013 04:13 AM, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:
> On 2013-11-07 01:56, ChenQi wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Forgive me if this is a dummy question.
>> I see the installation directories of programs are controlled by the
>> applets.src.h file.
>> Some of them are installed into /usr while some of them are not.
>> Is there a criteria to determine whether a program goes into /usr or
>> not.
>> For example, why is `rpm' installed into /bin while `tail' is
>> installed into
>> /usr/bin?
>
> I believe rpm is installed into /bin because RedHat and related
> systems like SuSE,
> whose practices are being emulated by Busybox, install rpm into /bin.
>
> In other words, Busybox is following existing conventions.
>
> Are you asking because you have an implementation of a new applet
> that you'd like to integrate into busybox?

I'm asking this because our project may also need a separation of / and
/usr. In other words, we need to make sure the system can still boot up
for recovery and repair even if /usr is missing.

As busybox is an important part of our system, I want to know your
opinions on this issue.

Best Regards,
Chen Qi