mdev tmpfs 10 megabyte max limit?

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Thu May 9 00:55:32 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 08 May 2013 19:32:00 Walter Dnes wrote:
>   Hi all.  I run Gentoo linux, with mdev replacing udev.  I
> occasionally run a script that does quite a bit of copying back and
> forth, and it uses /dev/shm to speed things up.  Yesterday, it started
> blowing up on me.  After painfull debugging, I discovered that /dev/shm
> is now only 10 megabytes.  The default linux size is 50% of ram.  Since
> I have 3 gigabytes, that should allow 1.5 gigabytes in /dev/shm.  I
> haven't run this script for a while, so the change may have been a few
> months ago.  Is there an option I can set somewhere to override this
> limit?  I tried remounting and bindmounting it, without any effect.

this really isn't related to busybox or mdev at all.  /dev/shm should be a
dedicated mount point (and from your mount, it already is) and is mounted by
your system's boot scripts (which openrc does).

for info on how to use mount, i'd suggest `man mount`.  it documents various
options to all the different filesystems.
-mike