XZ embedded bug unpacking linux-3.8.tar.xz (was: Re: tar: short read on linux-3.8.tar.xz)

Matias A. Fonzo selk at dragora.org
Thu Feb 28 20:24:16 UTC 2013

El Thu, 28 Feb 2013 08:05:39 +0100
Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux at googlemail.com> escribió:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 1:34 AM, Matias A. Fonzo <selk at dragora.org>
> wrote:
> > Hello Denys,
> >
> > El Wed, 27 Feb 2013 17:59:25 +0100
> > Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux at googlemail.com> escribió:

> >> Matias, sure, this can be done.
> >
> > Great.
> >
> >> But bbox already has *two* LZMA decompressors.
> >> Feels wrong, isn't it?
> >>
> >> In the long run it would be a nightmare to have two
> >> or more LZMA (de)compressors in common use on Linux.
> >
> > Why?. *.lzma are deprecated some time ago
>
> Because someone submitted the code:
>
> commit c1d69906a0c5f28f3d84c14afb3b74c8f19f81c1
> Author: Rob Landley <rob at landley.net>
> Date:   Fri Jan 20 18:28:50 2006 +0000
>
>     Patch from Aurelien Jacobs to add unlzma.  (A new decompression
> type, see www.7-zip.org)

Maybe is time to remove unlzma from busybox.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2011-12/msg00077.html
http://lzip.nongnu.org/benchmark.txt

> > Lzip was created before than xz. As a software distributor, I
> > remember the existence of a project called "Tukaani" (a GNU/Linux
> > distribution based on Slackware Linux featuring xz), in that time
> > xz was in *beta state*. Meanwhile, Lzip's author was publishing and
> > polishing stable versions of a LZMA implementation. Tukaani was in
> > a lethargy, when Slackware decided to incorporate xz to distribute
> > their packages; this example was followed by Fedora and other
> > distributions, then Tukaani comes up to restart his activities
> > (focusing only in the xz) -- After several months (if not years) of
> > the xz creation, they announce the stable version...
>
> So basically, lzip lost the race wrt adoption. xz is used more widely.
> Kernel tarballs are .xz, not .lz.

Basically, I'm saying that some upstreams projects have been taking the
wrong decision from the beginning to distribute packages / sources in a
LZMA implementation presented as beta (worse was with lzma-alone).

> What I'm saying is that bbox project would like to have is (ideally)
> _one_ LZMA decoder. Unpacking the compressed stream from two formats
> isn't a terribly difficult thing.
>
> But can lzip decompress unxz *stream*?

No, it should be?.