XZ embedded bug unpacking linux-3.8.tar.xz

Antonio Diaz Diaz ant_diaz at teleline.es
Thu Feb 28 19:45:55 UTC 2013

Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 8:54 AM, Michael Tokarev wrote:
>
>>For some reason I haven't heard of lzip at all until now.
>
> Yes. That's the problem, maybe the main one:
> xz people won on this front hands down,
> even if technically lzip is better.

Lzip is not going to disappear. Maybe a small group of influential
people already familiarized with lzma-utils helped xz to gain a head
start, but lzip is much more in line with what is expected from a
compressor in unix-like systems.

Think about it, and remember the problem that began this thread. What
LZMA compressor do you think is better for Busibox users; one that
behaves essentially like gzip and bzip2, or one that users of small
systems will probably never be able to make full use of?

Regards,
Antonio.