"mdev: remove undocumented subsystem/devname matching hack" disaster.

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 27 14:44:06 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Denys Vlasenko
<vda.linux at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Piotr Karbowski
> <piotr.karbowski at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Sorry for the delay between your mail and reply but I coudn't reboot
>>> this very system as I were processing some data.
>>
>> Hey, how's going? Can I help you with this issues by providing anything like
>> logs etc?
>
> You removed the old patch and made the log useless.
>
> I need to understand why your mdev does not
> properly synchronize on $SEQNUM despite
> /dev/mdev.seq existing.

Instead of sending you simple debug patches,
I decided a better logging is needed in general.
Also, you are right: removal of subsystem match
_without_ putting in a replacement wasn't good.

So I spent some time improving mdev on these two fronts.
This commit is the result:

http://git.busybox.net/busybox/commit/?id=5bce135e36800a34a273376d5ea1f052ed2d4212

Note that examples/mdev_fat.conf has subsystem check
reinstated, now in this form:
SUBSYSTEM=net;.* root:root 600 @nameif

If you'll decide to test this new mdev, you will need
to download and build current git:

git clone git://busybox.net/busybox.git

If you do, please enable logging by creating /dev/mdev.log,
and let me know what do you observe.

Thanks!
--
vda