udhcpc option question

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Mon Aug 5 01:23:36 UTC 2013

On 5 Aug 2013 at 2:21, Denys Vlasenko wrote:

From:           	Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux at googlemail.com>
Date sent:      	Mon, 5 Aug 2013 02:21:10 +0200
Subject:        	Re: udhcpc option question
To:             	"Michael D. Setzer II"
<mikes at kuentos.guam.net>
Copies to:      	busybox at busybox.net

> On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 8:13 AM, Michael D. Setzer II
> <mikes at kuentos.guam.net> wrote:
> > I have a project that uses busybox for a large number of functions,
> > and one is to use udhcpc to get the IP address.
> >
> > I've just gotten a report from an user that he is having an issue
> > with it not getting the ip address during the initial boot process,
> > but running it again succeeds? Not sure what is causing the initial
> > failure. The original attempt is a script that is called from the
> > rcS script, and it has the udhcpc with options -n, -i and -s. Was
> > thinking  of  adding a -t 4 option to see if that would have it try
> > 4 times, but am not sure if -t and -n work together.
>
> They should: even if -t N  isn't specified,
> it is implicitly set to 3.

First, Thanks for the quick reply.
The help screen show any default value for the -t option?
But perhaps there is another option.

> > There may also
> > be users that don't have a dhcpd server setup, so can't just have it
> > keep trying.
> >
> > The user is not local, so it is difficult to work remotely on the
> > issue. Perhaps someone has a more complete understanding of the
> > options for udhcpc than I do. Using busybox 1.21.1.
>
> Ask user to crank up debug output using -vv[v]
>  and set CONFIG_UDHCP_DEBUG.
> to 9.

Unfortuantely, this is running from a cd image of my g4l project,
so the end  user or I would have to modify it at the source. The
issue is that the script is called as part of the /etc/init.d/rcS file in
which it is failing to get the IP from the dhcpd, but running the
script after the boot process works?

It sees the nic, and sees that it has a link, but the getting of the IP
address fails at that point of the rcS. Could be that having it
runnign the whole script again if it failed would solve the issue.
Perhaps the -A option??

Thanks again.

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI        15624396.784372   |   EINSTEIN    12628182.809852
ROSETTA      8133701.779003   |   ABC         16207488.254205