BusyBox ash as subshell for mc (midnight commander)?

ralda at gmx.de ralda at gmx.de
Thu Mar 1 08:57:06 UTC 2012

Hi!

> i other words the problem is that mc searches for a given name ?
> IMHO it would be more easy to change mc and see what is happening
> next.

1) Correct!

2) It works! :-) ... since several years (even before this Busybox bash
hack).

For older Busybox ash version I had to fix a few bits in mc, but
currently can't remember exactly what I changed and for what reason
(did many changes/hacks in mc for different purposes). As newer versions
of Busybox work fine with mc I see no need to dig into old archives.

On systems without bash and without mc binary changes I used a simple C
wrapper for /bin/bash (just set arg[0] to "ash" then
exec /bin/busybox with argv)

In addition this shell script for /bin/bash worked successfully (but
performance lose on each invocation):

#!/bin/sh
exec /bin/busybox ash "$@"

--