Copyright message for 1.20.2?

Tito farmatito at tiscali.it
Thu Jul 12 19:16:28 UTC 2012

On Thursday 12 July 2012 16:43:00 Alain Mouette wrote:

> Em 12-07-2012 02:36, Tito escreveu:
> >
> > HI,
> > maybe "Copyright (C) 1998-2012 by the Busybox project developers"
> > and then adding a full list to the source package and to the website
> > could be a solution.
>
> This is not good. In case of a court dispute, all copyright owners have
> to be present. So if you want the copyright do be good for something, it
> has to be nominal!

Hi,
I think that even if you are not cited in the copyright as long as you can
prove your code contributions you can go to court at least for the files
containing your contribution or copyright notice.
I cannot see how redacting a list of all developers that  contributed
to busybox could make things worse as it already exists in the CVS/GIT
logs and in the licences on top of a lot of files in the source code.

> This has already happend to busybox which won a GPL issue not long ago.
>
> FSF offers to be the copyright owner for projects that cannot be nominal
> otherwise.

This is a problem as copyrights must be transferred by every developer
that contributed to busybox. I can think of a few that will not be willing
to transfer their copyrights to FSF.

Ciao,
Tito