Bug in mountpoint applet?

Harald Becker ralda at gmx.de
Tue Aug 14 18:54:33 UTC 2012

Hi Rich !

>No, the point is that you can have a mountpoint whose name looks like
>a whole embedded line in mountinfo for another mount that does not
>exist, and trick programs parsing the file. This is a fundamental
>design flaw in the kernel that can't be fixed without changing the
>format to use a delimiter that won't appear in pathnames (e.g.
>multiple consecutive slashes or null bytes).

Ok. you are right. Recognized it already after answering you the first
time ... but we are not talking about such flaws in kernel, we are
talking about the GNU mountpoint utility giving (mostly) correct info
and Busybox neglecting bound directories on same file system. So they
use different approaches.

My request is, to have Busybox mountpoint give at least same result as
upstream ... not more, but not less!

... so just see how GNU mountpoint does the check (can't do it
currently here on my absolutely overloaded notebook, hacking on this
to get away from this situation).

... the grep was just a hack I used here due to failing Busybox
mountpoint, knowing not to have such ugly paths (at least for mount
points - shoot whoever considers doing this, shouldn't you?).

--
Harald