Help wanted, setconsole problem

Laurent Bercot ska-dietlibc at skarnet.org
Wed Apr 4 13:08:43 UTC 2012

> ... I needed to create symlinks in /usr/bin pointing to the right cross
> compiler tools. Busybox make neglects to accept path definitions. My
> path is set correct and I'm able to use the right cross tools by just
> giving the name, but Busybox make doesn't find them. Is it possible to
> get that fixed? It is awesome to create those symlinks beside confusing
> and unorganized /usr/bin with links to different compilers. Would be
> very nice if Busybox make could respect the system path settings.

 The Aboriginal Linux toolchains include a full-featured GNU make
binary that works and respects the paths. Of course, that does not
mean Busybox make should not be fixed, but if you need a working
make as a bootstrap, you can use it.

 I've personally never felt the need to use Busybox make, for two
reasons :
 - make is a development tool and has its place on development machines
more than embedded boxes ;
 - It happens that GNU make (as well as GNU tar, surprisingly) has been
cleanly written and cleanly packaged, compiles easily with the uClibc
as well as the glibc, and produces a decently sized binary instead of
the usual GNU behemoths. (I suspect a direct intervention of the Lord
into the FSF developer pool.) So whenever I need to build a make,
GNU make is actually quite usable.

--
 Laurent