Help wanted, setconsole problem

ralda at gmx.de ralda at gmx.de
Tue Apr 3 21:21:57 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I tried to switch output of my /dev/console to a different tty. If I do
this during boot wit kernel parameter "console=tty63" that works as
expected but hides all the messages during boot. So I let the console
as the default tty0 and tried to use Busybox setconsole:

setconsole /dev/tty63

that works and gives no error messages, but after that writes
to /dev/console fail:

echo "Test" >/dev/console
sh: write error: Bad file descriptor
(strace verified: the write call fails with Bad file descriptor)

/dev/console is character device with major 5 and minor 1
/dev/tty63 is character device with major 4 and minor 63

I even tried some redirection for setconsole like:

setconsole /dev/tty63 0<>/dev/console 1>&0 2>&0

... but same effect on following writes.

Only "setconsole -r" restores output ability to /dev/console at the
current foreground virtual console (tty0).

What is wrong with setconsole or is this a kernel bug (3.3.0)?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thx
Harald