Can mdev replace udev in an ordinary linux distro?

Natanael Copa natanael.copa at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 14:25:19 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have been following this thread, and I wonder if someone could
> explain to me what is the real reason for wanting a replacement for
> udev?

Its big and bloaty and its a good thing to have more than one implementation?

> /usr: this is not a problem with udev, but rather with third party
> programs. Udev works perfectly fine with a separately /usr, but plenty
> of third party programs (that install udev rules files) will fail. For
> more info see: <http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken>.

ugh... what a mess...

Its a good thing nobody invented a boot system that depends on things
that was designed for desktop and not boot systems, things like
DBUS... oh wait...

Btw, the article claims: "There is no way to reliably bring up a
modern system with an empty /usr. "

Sure its possible. The process is traditionally called bootstrapping
and is not a new problem[1].

1. bring up the disk devices
2. mount /usr
3. bring up the rest of the system

Make sure that everything needed for step #1 is available in /

--
Natanael Copa

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootstrapping