Problem with sysinit actions from inittab

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 18 10:03:24 UTC 2011

On Friday 18 November 2011 09:16, Alexander Varnin wrote:
> Hello.
> I'm building OS using buildroot, and i get problem with busybox init -
> programs from inittab, marked with sysinit action doesn't execute.
> Shell, that is marked with respawn action starts ok.
>
> I've checked it with a series of commands. I'm attaching log of this
> commands.
> Please, take a look and tell what can be the problem?

>Warning: unable to open an initial console.

This is not good. Do you have /dev/console node in the root fs?

># Startup the system
>null::sysinit:/bin/mount -t proc proc /proc

"null" is probably not a good idea: any error messages disapppear.
Try changing all such lines to:
::sysinit:COMMAND

Another suggestion: make sure FEATURE_EXTRA_QUIET is off in .config,
then check that you do see this init's message on startup:

#if !ENABLE_FEATURE_EXTRA_QUIET
        /* Hello world */
        message(L_CONSOLE | L_LOG, "init started: %s", bb_banner);
#endif

--
vda