[1.16.2/mdev] "Can't open /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug"

Harald Becker ralda at gmx.de
Mon May 30 13:42:27 UTC 2011

 Hallo Walter!

>>> I think echo in shell scripts is more portable than printf.
>>  True, but mdev (and all the /proc/sys and /dev handling) isn't exactly
>> portable anyway, so this particular shell script will never be used
>> on anything else than Linux... and userland Linux tools (busybox as well
>> as coreutils) indeed have printf. ;)
>>
> so far i remember is echo less portable than printf. that is the reason why we have
> a bb_echo in test scripts.
"echo" less portable? Any POSIX compatible shell has an echo command or
at least an installed compatible echo program. I'm considering
incompatibilities exist only for handling of escape sequences in printed
messages. ... can you tell a bit more about the incompatibilities of
echo you mentioned? Which systems fail and how?

> beside that i do not use mdev, so i can not propperly test the script.
> how makes sure that the check goes into git ?

I do use mdev, but no standard startup script system, so I can't test
that either ... but it shall work, from my knowledge.

--
Harald